Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Summer Left Behind

Over this past summer, I have dedicated countless hours reading all thirteen books in the Left Behind series by Timothy LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins (excluding the three pre-quels). I decided to take on this reading list for a couple of reasons:

  1. These books have sold over 60 million copies worldwide. With this broad of a distribution and influence, it is only fair to critique such a phenomenon to determine both the good and the bad elements it offers for the life of the church. Assuming the best or ignoring the series altogether is only a remedy for disaster in the body of Christ. A fair critique should be offered and welcomed by the body seeking truth in God's Word.
  2. Whether preachers, teachers, and writers want to admit it or not, the common person in the church pew is getting more of their theology (specifically, eschatology) from fictional novels than they are from sermons, Sunday School classes or commentaries. As a result, I feel a responsibility as a servant of God dedicated to equipping His church with the truth to read and examine what they are reading and examining.
  3. I have dedicated my life to countering the particular view perpetuated in these books (Dispensational Premillennialism), and therefore I thought it only fair that I should read their books and have an educated opinion about their content when critiquing it. While I already had studied their theological position at great length, I had not yet engaged in this fictional representation as such.
Since I have finished the thirteenth book of the series (The Kingdom Come), I am now compiling my over 30 pages of notes into a thorough critique of the series focusing on three perspectives: [1] Literary critique, [2] Theological Critique, and [3] Exegetical Critique. This critique will be completed and posted on my website by September 15th.

So, why post this thread? Simple...I want your perspective. This discussion is for two groups in particular:
  1. Those who have not read the Left Behind series, but have had interaction with Dispensational Premillennialism - BOTH GOOD AND BAD! I want to hear your stories, your studies, your thoughts, your concerns, your feelings, your testimonies -- everything related to this particular "end times" position espoused in the Left Behind series (the position offered by: John Hagee, Jack Van Impe, Hal Lindsey, John Walvoord, Pat Robertson, etc.).
  2. Those who have read the Left Behind series. While I want the same information from you listed above in the first group, I would also like for you to add your particular perspective about the series of books themselves. What did you like? What did you dislike? What did you think about the characters? What was your favorite part? What could have been improved? Which was your favorite book? etc.
The purpose of this post would be to simply open conversations and questions about this book over the next four weeks, which I will incorporate into the final critique. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and receiving your questions.

Making Him Famous,

Shane J. Wood

4 comments:

Jordan D. Wood said...

To be honest, I used to think Dispensational theology was two things: 1) unconvincing and 2) unpopular among Christians, which led me to the conclusion, “Therefore, it is unimportant.” That was up until a year ago.

While I wish to leave my number 1 up to Shane and hopefully others, I would like to address number 2 from my own personal experiences. This, I hope, will show not only that my former conclusion about Dispensationalism was wrong, but that it is dangerous.

Two encounters come to mind from the time I spent (2 and half months) in Israel last summer:

I stayed in Nazareth while in Israel, which is one of the largest Arab cities in the country (though not even close to being as large as many western cities). Most of my time was spent leading English-speaking tours through a place called “Nazareth Village,” which is basically a kind of Jamestown, VA. concept, where local Christians dressed up like 1st Cent. Jews and worked on the site of a restored 1st Cent. Jewish farm in an attempt to simulate the “feel” for the kind of life Jesus would have led for his first 30 years. On one particular occasion I was leading a group of teenagers, most of whom I could tell were from the States. As with most of the groups, I asked them what they were doing in Israel. The reply came from a girl no older than 16 or 17, “We are a traveling Christian performance group, and we’re here to show support and build morale for the Israeli Military.” I wondered how my nearby co-workers, fellow Christians who also happened to be Arabs, felt about such noble ambitions.

On another occasion, I walked into work pleasantly surprised to see one of my new friends who had been gone for the last 3 days at some Christian conference in Jerusalem. She was around 18 years old, and her and some friends had been invited to attend the conference for free as a kind of “peace offering,” so to speak. You see, the conference was put on by some western Evangelical Christians, and any conference put on by them was likely to be unbearably Zionistic (Pro-Israel and more) for Christian Arabs. She and the others had accepted the invitation anyway, and she was now telling of what had taken place. Here is what caught my attention. She said that a western preacher took the stage to deliver the message for that night, which was on the “weaker brother stronger brother text,” as she said betraying a familiar anxiety. His point came down to this: the “stronger brother” is the Jewish Christian and the “weaker brother” any other Christian. What followed was for me, and especially for my friend, sickening. The speaker then directed everyone in the crowd who was not a Jew by blood to find one around them and touch the “hem of their clothes as they pray for you.”

I could go on, but the point I think is clear: Dispensationalism is not just some abstract theological position only argued about among detached seminary students, as I used to think. It is not “unimportant.” It has devastating consequences for the unity and well being of the Church, not least in Israel where Christian Arabs and Jews dwell side-by-side. Moreover, this blunts the witness of many of my Arab brothers and sisters, who fumble to explain to their Muslim friends and family why it is that western Christians pledge allegiance to the government of Israel, who has engaged in many acts of terror themselves and taken away the homes and businesses of their family (I do not wish simplify the situation, for acts of violence have been wrought on both sides). Indeed, this is the premier obstacle for many Christian Arabs seeking to witness to their neighbors. And finally, this theology is ethically and politically dangerous for the Church, since it produces followers of Jesus who wish to financially and otherwise support an entity (Israeli Gov.) that fundamentally contradicts the politics of Jesus (nonviolence, non-prejudice, etc.), and the declaration of the Apostle Paul that in light of the Gospel of Jesus, “Neither Jewish (circumcision) nor non-Jewish (uncircumcision) means anything; what counts in new creation” (Gal. 6:15).

Thus, if Premillinial Dispensationalism is anything, it is alive and impactful in the real world. I have seen it, and it is dangerous to think otherwise.

Sara said...

i'm so glad you are committed to opening up God's Word in this way! so many people buy into what is popular, and even more so, into what is convenient and/or easy for them! (i'm guilty of this, i'm sure, in some ways!) but this particular issue is taking over our churches, and there needs to be a loud voice of truth! thanks for being that voice! i love you!

Tammy said...

This is really awesome Son! I love your heart and your constant demonstration of your service and drive to spread the Gospel! You are so gifted, and I know God is pleased with your efforts! I love you so much!

justin said...

I probably don't have a whole lot to add or contribute to the discussion since most of what I know comes from our past discussions and classes. I guess, though, perhaps I can offer just a couple thoughts.

1. There are some really good questions that need to be answered before giving the premillennial view much weight. I think you should post your list on this site somewhere, Shane.

2. I think that the scholarship required to substantiate the premillennial perspective is not consistent or sound. The Word of God is our authority on life and the theology that goes with it, and we need to be sure that the hermeneutic that we engage it with is consistent, fair to the text, and sound.

3. For me, this discussion is interesting because it reminds me that all of us hold views that others see as being wrong or even absurd. What views do I hold that are wrong? It's a rather humbling thought...

Well, like I said, I don't really have anything to add or contribute, but I wanted to at least get my feet wet in the conversation. Hopefully, lots of people will get involved in the discussion.